Phnom Penh: British teacher arrested on suspicion of molesting a minor.

Your daily local news cover.
Enfrappe
Oohhh What's This Button do??... POST!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Re: Phnom Penh: British teacher arrested on suspicion of molesting a minor.

Postby Enfrappe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:24 am

There's a lot to not understand about this case at the moment. As I mentioned above, it's been far from straightforward right from the off. From the inception of the complaint/report through his detaining and questioning and ultimate apparent charging. The whole thing is odd.

One thing that might account for his apparently being arrested on two dates was that the initial "arrest" wasn't an arrest at all? Perhaps he was foolish enough to be gulled into going with the police and allowing himself to be questioned when not actually under arrest? I'm speculating, of course, and I'm also applying western legal process so could be wide of the mark.

However, it could be that at some point he woke up to the fact that he hadn't been arrested and indicated he wanted to leave and at that point they formally arrested him, which would start the official custody clock. Prior to that he was a voluntary attendee for an interview. Just a thought.

Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Loy9 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:15 pm

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.

Postby Loy9 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:16 pm

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Charged with Acts of Immodest under Aggravating Circumstances under article 246 and 248 of the Criminal Code on the afternoon of July 27 2017.

The case will be sent to the Investigating judge who will decide whether or not to send Mr.Smith to pre-trial detention.

Mr.Smith faces between 2 and 5 years in prison if found guilty of the charges.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:36 pm

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:21 pm

Sent to pre-trial detention by Investigating Judge Y Thavreak ( អ៊ី​ ថាវរៈ) of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on the afternoon of July 28 2017.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:35 pm

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:07 pm

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:56 pm

No additional reporting.

Sent to pre-trial detention according to Ly Sophana, a spokesman of the PPMC.

Innocent 100%; this is a disgrace.
This is my family; I have 2 kids.

Return to “Cambodia in the News”