Phnom Penh: British teacher arrested on suspicion of molesting a minor.

Your daily local news cover.
Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Phnom Penh: British teacher arrested on suspicion of molesting a minor.

Postby Loy9 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:35 am

Translation below:

The foreign teacher who had sex with a 5-year-old (female) student at his home is working at GOLDEN BRIDGE International School and not at GOLDEN Gate (School).

Phnom Penh: On the evening of July 21 2017 the National Police (governed by) the Ministry of Interior (MoI) arrested a foreign man, possibly a Brit, working as a teacher at GOLDEN BRIDGE International School in Tuol Kok district after it became known that the man (allegedly) took a 5-year-old female student to his home to have sex (with her).

A senior police official at the MoI told FN that the suspect has been arrested when leaving the school. At the moment they are still questioning him.

Police identify the man as Mark Andrew Smith.

Please note that the arrested foreigner is a teacher at the Golden Bridge School, not the Golden Gate School!

The arrest happened after an elderly woman with the account name launched the news on Facebook after being informed by the victim's parents. The parents didn't dare file a complaint; they only went to meet the Khmer principal of the school.

Viriya MC didn't reveal the name of the school; she only claimed that it concerned a big international school in Phnom Penh.
The victim (allegedly) told her that a/the foreign teacher took her to his house where he (allegedly) had oral sex with her. Viriya MC was only informed by the victim's parents 'after there was problem'. (according to the radio interview she refused to go back to school)

Although the victim's parents didn't file a complaint the police investigated (the incident) and arrested (the foreign) teacher after the news became public on Facebook and people started searching for the name of the school.

NOTE: The suspect isn't charged with any crime yet.

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Phnom Penh: British teacher arrested on suspicion of molesting a minor.

Postby Loy9 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:02 am

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Enfrappe
Oohhh What's This Button do??... POST!

Postby Enfrappe » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:22 am

Well that's the first time I've seen it reported that there is supposedly more than one instance of assault by him, now it's "several times". I'm not sure if that makes what has been alleged more or less credible.

It's far from a straightforward case. He wasn't caught in the act like many previous perps have, which made them open and shut cases. This one took an odd route to get to the police investigation stage. He could be guilty as hell or there could be other motives for the arrest, who knows at the moment?

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:05 pm

According to a senior official at the Prosecutor's Office of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court (PPMC) on the afternoon of July 25 2017:
The Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection department of the police found out that the arrested man is really involved 'in this/these crime(s)' and will forward the case to the Court.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:00 pm

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:58 pm

The school's management released an announcement.

The management would like to inform the parents and the public that the management and parents (of the victim?) closely worked together with the police to facilitate the investigations (allow progress investigation) and find the truth in this shameful story (so that it) can finish (in a) correct and fair (way).

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:10 pm

On its Facebook-page the school also states that:
The school does not authorize a teacher or anyone else, apart from the parents, to remove (take outside) a student from the school.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:58 am

According to a Court official:
Sent back to the Ministry of Interior by police experts (AHT&JP department) in the evening of July 26 2017 after being questioned during the afternoon; interrogations (by the Court) will continue tomorrow.

According to the same official:
Currently the suspect is under the jurisdiction of Sieng Sok, deputy prosecutor at the Court of First Instance in Phnom Penh.

According to a senior official at the Prosecutor's Office:
After questioning police experts decided to arrest (?) the suspect on the evening of July 24 2017 because they found out/discovered that the suspect was really involved in/can be linked to this crime/these crimes.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:28 am

What I don't understand... Arrested (by the police) on the evening of July 21 (when leaving the school) AND arrested (by the police) on the evening on July 24... How can :?: :?: :?:

If I'm not mistaken the police can arrest you (once) for max.24hrs.
Will have to take a dive into the Cambodian Criminal Procedure Code.

Edit:
Police custody in Cambodia = max.48hrs (in some cases an extension of 24hrs is possible)
At the expiry of the period of police custody, the arrestee shall be handed over to a prosecutor or put in liberty.

Pre-trial detention (felony case) is maximum 18months (6 + 2*6).

Return to “Cambodia in the News”