Phnom Penh: Moldavian woman on trial over human-trafficking offenses.

Your daily local news cover.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Phnom Penh: Moldavian woman on trial over human-trafficking offenses.

Postby Loy9 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:10 am

On the morning of July 6 2017 the Phnom Penh Municipal Court started the trial of a Moldvian woman involved into 'bringing (and) selling people in Cambodia".

The prosecutor's office charged the woman, identified as 26-year-old Bejenari Liudmila aka Lida, with 'Unlawful Removal with Purpose' under Art.10 of the Law on Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation.
The alleged crimes were committed in August 2014 in Moldavia and a shop called Ga Do situated No.110E0, Street 136, Phsar Kandal 2 commune, Daun Penh district, Phnom Penh.

At the trial the accused clarified that she started living in Cambodia in August 2012 to work as a manager at a shop selling alcohol.
She claimed that the victim, identified as Christina aka Sue, asked her to work in Cambodia with a proper employment contract.
Sue applied for a passport and bought an airplane ticket, the accused front the money, to travel to Cambodia.
When the victim started working together with the accused, she worked on a trial basis for 3 months; she didn't receive a salary but she received free food and a shelter.
The next 9 months she earned 250USD/month to pay back the flight ticket and expenditures to come to Cambodia.

The accused said that she didn't force the alleged victim to come work in Cambodia or to sleep with customers.

According to a written statement from the alleged victim:
At the end of 2014 she came to work in Cambodia, together with the accused, in a shop selling Italian wine and pizza belonging to a man identified as 'black' EMEKWOO JEFFERY. (must be Jeffrey Akudo)
She acknowledges that the accused paid for the expenses to travel to Cambodia.
When the victim arrived in Cambodia the accused allegedly confiscated her passport and forced her to sleep with customers (to pay of her debt).

Additionally she was forced by Jeffrey, the shop owner, to sleep with him while recording a video (which was) used to threaten her.

The victim is demanding a compensation of 20K USD.

A verdict is due on August 2 2017.

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.

Re: Phnom Penh: Moldavian woman on trial over human-trafficking offenses.

Postby Loy9 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:31 am

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Enfrappe
Oohhh What's This Button do??... POST!

Re: Phnom Penh: Moldavian woman on trial over human-trafficking offenses.

Postby Enfrappe » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:10 am

I thought the tale sounded familiar and as I read more it came back to me. I'm sure the story of their original arrest is on here somewhere.

Edit: No, it was on another forum. The Ga Do was raided back in June 2015. Two years pre-trial detention? :shock:

Return to “Cambodia in the News”