Phnom Penh: American MARK ALAN VANDEWATER arrested on extortion charges.

Your daily local news cover.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Phnom Penh: American MARK ALAN VANDEWATER arrested on extortion charges.

Postby Loy9 » Fri May 26, 2017 5:51 pm

National police's anti-technology crime department arrested an American national and sent him to the Court in the afternoon of March 25 2017 on charges of extortion (reputation damage).

The suspect has been identified as Mark Alan Vandewater, a 67-year-old American businessman who has been living in Cambodia for a while.

Following a source at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court:
On May 18 2017 the suspect sent an e-mail (in English) to a friend demanding 10K USD; if the friend didn't come up with the money he would inform the friend's Vietnamese wife about his relationship with a Khmer woman.

After the 5th mail (it looks like the suspect sent 5 emails over the course of several days demanding 2000USD each time; the article isn't really clear on that) the friend decided to file a complaint and ask the police's anti-technology crime department to take action against the suspect.

The police investigated the case and arrested the suspect at Kirirom restaurant which is situated in Phnom Penh's Chamkar Mon district.

Police haven't officially confirmed the reports.

The case is currently in the hands of the Court.

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.

Re: Phnom Penh: American MARK ALAN VANDEWATER arrested on extortion charges.

Postby Loy9 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:49 pm

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:19 pm

Could it be him (on a bad day) :?:

Born on August 05, 1949 and @ The Office Bar on Street 118 isn't unknown to him...

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Sat May 27, 2017 2:26 am

On May 18 2017 the suspect tried to blackmail his victim, an American man, for 10,000USD.

The sender of the email ordered his victim to make 5 wire transfers of 2,000USD each. (possibly through a money transfer service)

The victim got scared and filed a complaint after receiving the blackmail threat.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Sat May 27, 2017 2:30 am

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:08 am

In the morning of May 27 2017 Mr.Vandewater has been charged under art.372 and 373 of the Criminal Code. (Blackmail)
Blackmail is punishable by an imprisonment from 2 (two) years to 5 (five) years and a fine from 4,000,000 (four million) Riels to 10,000,000 (ten million) Riels.
It's unclear whether he has been released on bail or not.

Return to “Cambodia in the News”