Phnom Penh: 2 Nigerians and 1 Khmer arrested over "dyed black money" scam

Your daily local news cover.
Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Phnom Penh: 2 Nigerians and 1 Khmer arrested over "dyed black money" scam

Postby Loy9 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:29 pm

The police cracked down on a group of money 'launderers' (2 Nigerians and a Khmer) after cheating their victim for more than 10.000USD.

In the afternoon of October 3 2016 the Department of Minor Crimes belonging to the Ministry of Interior, arrested 3 persons, among them 2 Nigerians and a Khmer girlfriend. The arrest happend along Road 5BT, Sansam Kosal 5 village, sangkat Boeung Tompoun, khan Meanchey, Phnom Penh.
They were arrested for their involvement in a fraud case (+10.000USD); the group had the intention to 'launder' money.

According to the police:
The suspects contacted their Khmer victim through Facebook (chat) telling her that they had chemicals to clean money. The victim agreed to co-operate.
She met the suspects. They took 200USD, cleaned it (with their chemicals) and handed it over to their victim. She spent the money without any problems and decided to do business with the suspects.

After gaining the victim's trust the suspects told her that they lacked money to buy (more) chemicals and asked the victim to send them 8.000USD to buy more chemicals.
Afterwards they asked the victim again to send money. In total she sent them more than 10.000USD.
The victim realized that she was defrauded and filed a complaint.

The police started an investigation.

A first suspect was arrested on October 1 2016, 2 more in the afternoon of October 3 2016.

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Phnom Penh: 2 Nigerians and 1 Khmer arrested over "dyed black money" scam

Postby Loy9 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:00 pm

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:08 pm

The video of the arrest:

Last edited by Loy9 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:35 pm

Video-link:

Last edited by Loy9 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:10 pm

The suspects are identified as:
1. ​ AWUZIEKE​ PASCHAL​, male, DOB 16/05/1975, Nigerian.
2. ONYECHEFUNA​ SABASTINE​ ARINZE​, male, DOB 09/11/1986, Nigerian.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:23 pm

The Khmer suspect was identified as:
Chhaen Davi, female, 35YO, servant/maid (អ្នកបម្រើ) in a foreign bar.

The police also seized one laptop, 2 old mobile phones and 1 passport.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:11 pm

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:31 am

Different story here; I'll stick to my translation but must admit that I mistakenly described the victim as female. In the Khmer article they only talk about a/the victim without mentioning the sex of the victim.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:17 am

A verdict is due on June 22 2017.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:58 am

Return to “Cambodia in the News”