Phnom Penh: Independent political analist Kem Ley shot to death.

Your daily local news cover.
Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Phnom Penh: Independent political analist Kem Ley shot to death.

Postby Loy9 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:26 pm

The incident happend at a Star Mart; one suspect has been arrested.

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Phnom Penh: Independent political analist Kem Ley shot to death.

Postby Loy9 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:40 pm

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:50 pm

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:58 pm

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:05 pm

Highlights of the press conference
- Phnom Penh police chief Choun Sovann expressed his condolences to the wife and 4 children of the victim. He informed that currently the victim's wife is pregnant of a fifth child.
- The police and authorities compromised on a vehicle (with a 'siren') to transport the victim's body to Wat Chas pagoda in Chroy Changvar.
-The suspect was chased (2 shots were fired) and caught on Sothearos (close to Wat Svay Omper pagoda) immediately after the killing.
-The victim was killed with 2 shots; one got stuck in the head and the other entered the upperarm and left the chest.
-Police is still investigating who's behind the killing and searching for accomplices.
-The man who fatally shot the victim will be sent to the court tomorrow.

Video link to the press conference

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:30 pm

If I'm not mistaken the suspect says that the gun (a Glock) has been bought in Thailand.

Video link

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:44 pm

People on social media are wondering why the suspect, working as a spray painter in Thailand, can possess such a modern gun and has enough money to lend to the victim. (allegedly the victim borrowed 3000USD from the suspect)

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:53 pm

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:39 pm

According to a press release issued by the Ministry of Interior:
the gunman was identified as Chuab Somlab (sic), 38YO, born is Svay Cheek district/Banteay Meanchey province and working as a laborer on a farm/plantation in Sa Kaeo province, Thailand.
Kem Ley was 46YO.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:25 pm

The funeral ceremony will last 10 days to allow the people to participate/pay respect according to an announcement by Wat Chas, which is located in sangkat Chroy Changvar, issued on the first day of the ceremonies on July 10 2016.

Return to “Cambodia in the News”