Koh Kong: 35-year-old fisherman dies after eating Horseshoe crab; 5 family members rescued.

Your daily local news cover.
Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.

Koh Kong: 35-year-old fisherman dies after eating Horseshoe crab; 5 family members rescued.

Postby Loy9 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:07 pm

The incident happened on March 1 2017 at 11.30PM in Koh Kong's Botum Sakor district after all victims ate Horseshoe crab. (កាចរ សមុទ្រ)

The victim's wife and children were timely rescued.

កម្មករទូកនេសាទបានយក កាចរសមុទ្យ មកធ្វើម្ហូប បណ្ដាលឲ្យពុល មួយគ្រួសារ
កោះកុង៖ កាលពីថ្ងៃទី ០១ ខែមីនា ឆ្នាំ២០១៧ វេលាម៉ោង ២៣ និង៣០នាទី គ្រួសាររបស់លោក រុន យ៉ង អាយុ ៣៥ ឆ្នាំ មានទីលំនៅភូមិស្រែត្រាវ ឃុំថ្មស ស្រុកបូទុមសាគរ ខេត្តកោះកុង ។
បុរសជាកម្មករទូកនេសាទ បានយក កាចរ សមុទ្រ មកធ្វើម្ហូបហូប បណ្តាលឲ្យពុល មួយគ្រួសារដែលមានគ្នាចំនួន ០៦នាក់ ហើយបានស្លាប់ម្នាក់ឈ្មោះ រុន យ៉ង ដែលជាមេគ្រួសារ បន្សល់ទុកនូវប្រពន្ធ កូន ពុលបន្តិចបន្ទួចត្រូវបានជួយសង្គ្រោះជីវិតរួចទាន់ពេលវេលា ។
អាស្រ័យដូចនេះ សូមបងប្អូនប្រជានេសាទដែលរស់នៅតាមតំបន់ឆ្នេរ សូមមានការប្រុងប្រយ័ត្ន កុំនាំគ្នាហូបសត្វ កាចរ សមុទ្រនេះទៀត ដែលនាំឲ្យប៉ះពាល់ដល់អាយុជីវិតខ្លួន ៕

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.

Re: Koh Kong: 35-year-old fisherman dies after eating Horseshoe crab; 5 family members rescued.

Postby Loy9 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:52 pm

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Enfrappe
Oohhh What's This Button do??... POST!

Re: Koh Kong: 35-year-old fisherman dies after eating Horseshoe crab; 5 family members rescued.

Postby Enfrappe » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:00 am

I'd not really thought about whether anyone would eat those things or not but it seems that, despite their size, only the roe is in any way edible. It seems they can contain the same toxin as the blowfish/pufferfish. :rip:

http://hubpages.com/food/Eating-Horseshoe-Crab

Horseshoe Crab Poisoning

The proper cleaning of the roe of the Horseshoe Crab is extremely important. Though there is not much other 'flesh' what little there is is said to cause an unpleasant dizziness if consumed.

There have been numerous cases of poisoning after eating Horseshoe Crab eggs and several deaths in Thailand and Cambodia. This is attributed to the powerful neurotoxin, tetrodotoxin, the same as can be found in Fugu. There is now a test kit available which works along the lines of a pregnancy test kit to check for tetrodotoxin. It may well be that the neurotoxin only occurs at certain times of the year or, as has been suggested in research that it is only present in the Mangrove Horseshoe Crab Carcinoscorpius rotundicauda (South China Sea to the Indian subcontinent) and not in other Horseshoe Crab species.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:02 pm

March 26 2017, 10AM:

Another victim.

A 26-year-old man from Koh Kong's Koh Kong district died after eating Horseshoe crab.

Sue
Handle with care.

Postby Sue » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:10 am

"Although the current findings showed that the Cambodian C. rotundicauda was a moderately toxic species, they are not suitable for human consumption due to their toxicity"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17261323

Return to “Cambodia in the News”