Phnom Penh: 49YO Australian Tammy Charles arrested and charged in surrogacy case.

Your daily local news cover.
Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.

Re: Phnom Penh: 49YO Australian Tammy Charles arrested and charged in surrogacy case.

Postby Loy9 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:25 am

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/cambodian-mother-says-she-was-caught-surrogacy

Cambodian mother says she was caught up in surrogacy

For the past six months, Chakriya has been imprisoned at Prey Sar and has been mostly separated from her infant, after she was suddenly arrested for her alleged role in an international commercial surrogacy ring. There’s a cruel irony that in the process of helping couples desperate for biological babies, she was cut off from her own.

Yet Chakriya claims to have been unwittingly caught up in the commercial surrogacy business. Working as a nurse at Sihanouk Hospital Centre of Hope in Phnom Penh, Chakriya took on some part-time work for Australian Tammy Davis-Charles, founder of Fertility Solutions PDG, in October of 2015. “I did not know the baby was for surrogacy, because my work is only looking after and caring for the patient,” she said yesterday after her trial in which she faces up to two years in prison was postponed.

“I had no idea working for her would lead to my arrest.”

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.

Re: Phnom Penh: 49YO Australian Tammy Charles arrested and charged in surrogacy case.

Postby Loy9 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:05 pm

In the morning of June 13 the 3 accused were sent from Prey Sar to the Municipal Court for a hearing.

No further information.

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:35 pm

Loy9 wrote:In the morning of June 13 the 3 accused were sent from Prey Sar to the Municipal Court for a hearing.

No further information.

The Court didn't finish the hearing on June 13 2017. (not all witnesses have been heard yet)

Tammy Charles admitted/confessed that she took the sperm of one (?) Australian couple to inseminate (a) Khmer wom(a)(e)n (not clear from the article) in exchange for 10K USD and (admitted that) she was taking care for/looking after 18 Khmer surrogate mothers; 5 women already gave birth and the baby was sent to Australia.

Nurse Sambath Chan Chakriya admitted/confessed that Tammy Charles told her that she offered 300USD for an insemination, an additional 400USD/month if the inseminated mother became pregnant and 10K USD at childbirth.
She was paid 650USD/month to work as a nurse/interpreter at the company New Genetics (the Khmer article says 'New Genertic" located in Canadia building and with Tammy as boss/president)

Another article says that customers paid 50K USD for a child of which Tammy Charles pocketed 8K USD.
Among the 5 surrogate mothers who gave birth, one of them gave birth to twins. (so in total 6 babies, all girls, have been taken outside the country)
Pich Rithy helped with the birth certificates (700 to 1,300USD) and passports. He also found 6 surrogate mothers for which he received commissions. He also received a salary of 600USD/month.
The hearings will continue on a later date to be set by the Court.
The 3 have been charged under Art.332 and 632 of the Criminal Law.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:57 am

KT about yesterday's court hearing:

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/39315/australian-nurse--i-m-innocent/

An Australian nurse has denied recruiting Cambodian women to work as surrogates for foreign couples, but admitted providing medical care to pregnant mothers as she went on trial in Phnom Penh yesterday.

Contradicts with: ខ្លួនបានរកស្ត្រីខ្មែរនៅលីវពពោះ

Ms Davis-Charles told the court she played no part in arranging surrogacies, saying her role was limited to providing medical care to a total of 23 surrogate mothers who carried babies for 18 Australian and five American couples.

“They find the clinic” by themselves, she said of the foreign parents, adding she was also not involved in the recruitment of Cambodian surrogates.

The nurse said she received $8,000 ( :?: ) from each couple while surrogates received around $10,000, while all of the infants were born and moved out of Cambodia before her arrest.

The three face between six months and two years in prison if convicted.

The hearing will continue at the end of the month.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:43 am

Different sources, different stories...

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/australian-nurse-denies-charges-surrogacy-trial-kicks

Australian nurse denies charges as surrogacy trial kicks off

An Australian nurse denied she was the chief orchestrator of a number of surrogate pregnancies at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday in the opening of Cambodia’s first-ever surrogacy trial.

Despite the ban, the controversial practice exists in a legal vacuum. With a law on the industry still in the drafting stages, the trio were charged not for surrogacy, but for allegedly being intermediaries between an adoptive parent and a pregnant woman, and fraudulently obtaining documents such as birth certificates.

Brokers found willing women to be surrogates, while parents desperate for children sought out clinics. At that meeting point is where Davis-Charles claimed she came in, caring for surrogates and funnelling their salary to them, but her role faded after the birth. Other players, she said, took on the task of acquiring the necessary documents to get newborns out of the country.

Meanwhile, Davis-Charles said Chakriya, the Cambodian nurse arrested last November, was “just a translator”, but in her own testimony Chakriya said she often would carry out medical check-ups at Davis-Charles’ bidding.

Chakriya was arrested more than four months after she quit work to go on maternity leave, telling The Post last month that she had “no idea working for her would lead to my arrest”.

Rithy, however, admitted to recruiting five or six surrogates, for which he received a salary of $400 per month. He also said he received $600 for going to the commune office to arrange birth certificates for the newborns, admitting he paid $300 per document, which is supposed to be free.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:56 am

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:38 pm

On the morning of July 17 2017 the Phnom Penh Municipal Court postponed the verdict in this case to August 3 2017.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:23 am

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5066116/free-pleads-surrogacy-boss/

Free me, pleads surrogacy boss

An Australian nurse at the centre of a surrogacy business yesterday admitted to hiring Cambodian women to carry babies for Australian couples, but denied falsifying Cambodian documents at the closing of her trial at Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

“I recognise that I was involved with hiring Cambodia women to be pregnant and carry babies, but I was not involved with any fraudulent documentation,” she said.

“I now have cancer in my eyes and have a five-year-old daughter back in my country,” she added. “I would like the court to release me.”

:?:

Enfrappe
Oohhh What's This Button do??... POST!

Postby Enfrappe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:49 am

Riiiiiight. So exactly which of the versions of the truth that this lying bitch has been peddling in the last month do we believe today?

Is it
Ms Davis-Charles told the court she played no part in arranging surrogacies, saying her role was limited to providing medical care to a total of 23 surrogate mothers who carried babies for 18 Australian and five American couples.
from a month ago?

Or is it
An Australian nurse at the centre of a surrogacy business yesterday admitted to hiring Cambodian women to carry babies for Australian couples, “I recognise that I was involved with hiring Cambodia women to be pregnant and carry babies.
from yesterday?

And maybe if someone reminds her she has had her sunglasses on for six months she'll realise she doesn't have cancer of the eyes at all. RockIcon

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:19 am

Enfrappe wrote:Riiiiiight. So exactly which of the versions of the truth that this lying bitch has been peddling in the last month do we believe today?

Is it
from a month ago?

Or is it
An Australian nurse at the centre of a surrogacy business yesterday admitted to hiring Cambodian women to carry babies for Australian couples, “I recognise that I was involved with hiring Cambodia women to be pregnant and carry babies.
from yesterday?

And maybe if someone reminds her she has had her sunglasses on for six months she'll realise she doesn't have cancer of the eyes at all. RockIcon

Confusing to say at the very least; will have a look at the (latest) Khmer articles too.

Meanwhile:

Australian woman in Cambodia surrogacy case has 'lost everything'

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/australian-woman-in-cambodia-surrogacy-case-has-lost-everything-798273.html

On Monday, Davis-Charles said she has cancer in her left eye and wants to be reunited with her family in Australia, including her five-year-old twin sons.

How many five-year-old children does she have?

Return to “Cambodia in the News”