Siem Reap: Yeay Tep (យាយទេព)

All aspects of Cambodia's rich history and culture. Share it with the other members!
Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.

Siem Reap: Yeay Tep (យាយទេព)

Postby Loy9 » Sun May 22, 2016 2:23 pm

Located in the middle of RN6, just past the Royal residence at Preah Ang Chek Preah Ang Chorm. (ព្រះអង្គចេក ព្រះអង្គចម)

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.

Re: Siem Reap: Yeay Tep (យាយទេព)

Postby Loy9 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:11 pm

Looks like unknown man riding on a bicycle damaged the statue of Yeay Tep a few nights ago with a belt; also in January 2016 there was an incident.

Video

Statement issued by the provincial administration.

https://www.khmerload.com/news/57435

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:01 am

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/34866/police-hunting-man-who-damaged-statue/

Police hunting man who damaged statue

According to an announcement last Wednesday, security camera footage showed a man using his belt to strike the statue’s legs and his shoe to beat her face at 11:36pm on January 23.

“This uneducated man beat the Yeay Tep statue. It broke her nose and removed some paint spots from the statue,” read the announcement.

It added that provincial authorities were investigating and trying to find the man and called on any witnesses to come forward and assist in his arrest.

“The provincial administration condemns this uneducated man for damaging this statue to which everyone always pays their respects.

“His actions seem to look down on the people of Siem Reap province and the public’s beliefs and respects to the Yeay Tep statue,” it read.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:43 pm

Here we go again:

Arrested on March 22 2017 at 0.30AM on charges of intentionally damaging the sculpture of a mythical bird placed in front of Yeay Tep's statue in Siem Reap.
The suspect confessed that he was frustrated and lost his temper after his ex-wife refused to meet him.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:02 am

^^

Slightly different story.

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/36785/man-arrested-over-ya-tep-shrine-attack/

Man arrested over Ya Tep shrine attack

A man has been arrested for damaging part of the popular Ya Tep shrine in Siem Reap.

Ya Tep, which is said to house a powerful local spirit and attracts many worshippers, is located on a traffic circle opposite the royal residence and close to the historic Preah Ang Chek Preah Ang Chom shrine.

The incident occurred at midnight on Tuesday, when a man who police say has mental health problems attacked a swan-shaped candle holder in front of the shrine.

“Mr. Chhert told officers he had a severe headache all day and had gone into the city to find his wife at her workplace,” he said.

The man also said he had wanted to worship at the shrine and clean the Ya Tep statue.

Return to “Cambodia History&Culture”