Royal Ploughing Ceremony

All aspects of Cambodia's rich history and culture. Share it with the other members!
Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.

Royal Ploughing Ceremony

Postby Loy9 » Sun May 22, 2016 12:22 pm

Also known as the traditional beginning of the rice growing season.

ព្រះរាជពិធីបុណ្យច្រត់ព្រះនង្គ័ល (Preah Reach Pithi Chrot Preah Neangkol)

In the ceremony, two sacred oxen are hitched to a wooden plough and they plough a furrow in some ceremonial ground, while rice seed is sown by court Brahmins. After the ploughing, the oxen are offered plates of food, including rice, corn, green beans, sesame, fresh-cut grass, water and rice whisky.

Depending on what the oxen eat, court astrologers and Brahmins make a prediction on whether the coming growing season will be bountiful or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Ploughing_Ceremony

Below some pictures of the preparations for the 2016 ceremony (organized on May 24 2016) at the Angkor Archeological Park.

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Loy9
The WIFI went down for 5min. so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people.

Re: Royal Ploughing Ceremony

Postby Loy9 » Tue May 24, 2016 9:54 am

The sacred oxen went for the paddy rice, corn and beans! Promising outlook for them in the coming agricultural season.

Disclaimer: While reasonable efforts are made to provide a translation, no liability and no responsibility are assumed by Loy9 for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the translations. (Link to the original Khmer article by PM.)

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:07 am

Back in the 60s.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Tue May 24, 2016 12:58 pm

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:10 pm

More 2016 impressions

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:12 pm

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:13 pm

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:46 am

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/royal-oxen-predict-good-harvest-rice

Good harvests for rice, corn and beans are again predicted for the coming year according to the Royal Astrologer’s interpretation of the royal oxen’s eating habits yesterday on the occasion of the annual Ploughing Ceremony.

The bovines’ decision to eat “95 per cent of the beans, 90 per cent of the corn and 90 per cent of rice demonstrates that agricultural production will be better” this year, Royal Astrologer Kang Ken declared.

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/25329/ceremony-predicts-good-year/

Sun Samnang, a 26-year-old who went to the ploughing ceremony, said that even though the Royal oxen did not drink water during the ceremony, he hoped the Kingdom would have adequate water in 2016.

“I believe that rain will be abundant for all Cambodian people,” Mr. Samnang said.

Loy9

Postby Loy9 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:19 pm

Royal Ploughing Ceremony 2017 to be held in Prey Veng province.

Return to “Cambodia History&Culture”